Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Dealing with Negativity

I am a technology evangelist and I love what I do. I truly believe in the power of educational technology to improve learning, create communities and inspire new thinking (hence the title of my blog ;) We are doing great things at my school. Teachers and students are using Ning and podcasting and blogging and iMovie and GoogleDocs and lots more with great success.

At the start of this school year, I blogged about a great book by Robert Evans titled The Human Side of School Change. While I've made a huge amount of progress in my school, I think most would agree, that change is slow. Some people can be very resistant to trying new things. They feel that what they do works and don't understand the need to do things any differently. Sometimes, those of us who's job it is to convince people otherwise, face negativity. While we might understand it intellectually, it still can be hard to deal with.

Today I asked my network how they deal with negativity. They came up with some great ideas. I've pasted them below (in reverse chronological order). As always, I'm so impressed with the power of your collective intelligence. Thanks so much to everyone who shared their thoughts!

Page Lennig plennig @lizbdavis "end up like that"
Lee TeachaKidd @lizbdavis Understand that you can't manage others. Try to avoid them. Hard to do.
Page Lennig plennig @lizbdavis tell me about it - after last week's NYT article teachers are worried that by posting assignments online we'll "end up like ... ...
Dominic Salvucci Dsalvucci @lizbdavis I counter w/sarcasm, which gets me in trouble, or silly questions/examples which confuses the negative people.
Christy Tvarok cmtvarok @lizbdavis humor sometimes works, "whoa, i wasn't expecting such a negative response. got anything good 2 say?"
carenpence CPence Icon_red_lock @lizbdavis Keep telling myself...."Breathe...Breathe..." Human nature and my personality...it is difficult to let it roll off my back.SMILE
K Christopherson kwhobbes @lizbdavis I've been learning to take negativity directed at me as a way to improve myself. If they are just a - person, I stay away.
Lee Allan Sanders onlineteacher @lizbdavis Meditation is my primary, and forcing myself to wait a full 24 hours b4 actual response/reaction, except I fail sometimes
mountainlaneman mountainlaneman @lizbdavis Thick skin. I go by the rule of 3rd's and know that there is a silent minority that doesn't appreciate my work. Continue goin ... ...
Art Gelwicks ArtGelwicks @lizbdavis Wiffle ball bat.
Jerry Swiatek jswiatek @lizbdavis Liz...if you find the answer, please share!! :) This happens to me all of the time...
Lisa Parisi LParisi @lizbdavis Wish I knew. Please tell me what you find out. Right now, I just smile and walk away, seething of course.
P. Harju Scout7 @lizbdavis (in resp to neg colleagues) I just remember what my mom always told me -- They are just jealous of me.
bransonb bransonb @lizbdavis a friend once told me that "if I continue to have the same high expectations of others as I do for myself, I will always be d ... ...
Michael Richards mrichme @lizbdavis Make sure you check in with positive people and don't let the negativity take over your personality. Life is about balance.
McTeach McTeach @lizbdavis Wait...I don't think I'm making any sense. So very tired...hard to respond in 140 or less...
McTeach McTeach @lizbdavis Remember, negative people spew negativity. It's what's inside. Kind people spew kindness. You are kind and caring. We know that.
Craig Nansen cnansen @lizbdavis some people won't like it or agree with it. Most don't know where we are going or why, until it becomes of value to them.
Craig Nansen cnansen @lizbdavis I have been a district level technology director for 23 years. It's part of the job, I just shrug it off. No matter what you do..
McTeach McTeach @lizbdavis I'd be happy to share! Where shall we start?
Janet Peterson Petersonj Icon_red_lock @lizbdavis Chocolate sometimes, too!!!
Janet Peterson Petersonj Icon_red_lock @lizbdavis AND find a good friend with which you can vent! (Thank you PenceC!! My good frieind!) And then move on!
Janet Peterson Petersonj Icon_red_lock @lizbdavis If in your heart you know what you are doing is the right thing continue to do what you do! Stay positive..change takes 5-10 yrs
Diane Hammond dianeh @lizbdavis Their negative attitudes are rarely meant as personal attacks. In many cases negativity comes from insecurity. Keep smiling!
Colleen colleenk @lizbdavis Just realize that the negativity comes from a lack of understanding on their part (or jealousy/unhappiness) - not your fault.
Michelle Bourgeois milobo @lizbdavis - Good Q! I struggle w/ that too- my advice-remember negativity often comes from fear- accept & acknowledge then grow from that
abdoss abdoss @lizbdavis Smile, but don't feed the neg. If you have to make an excuse to leave. Neg peers are not your fault, don't accept that feeling.
Tech_Teacher13 Tech_Teacher13 @lizbdavis Link didn't come thru here it is: http://www.scrapbook.com/po...
Tech_Teacher13 Tech_Teacher13 @lizbdavis To not take things personally I keep in mind that I can't be everything to all & I remember the starfish story: http://www.scrapb
Caroline OBannon cobannon @lizbdavis I'm alot like @LParisi in handling that. Don't do face-to-face well. Venting helps immensely! That and plotting. :)
Sebbe D'Hose saint_ethique @lizbdavis just assume they have a bad day and don't nesceserly mean to be mean ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz,

Thanks so much for posting the question that many of us deal with everyday. Being a tech leader means that there's no one shining a light ahead of you, so you often have to feel your way in the darkness and hope that the negativity you hear comes from those who just can't see where you're headed.

Recently, for the first time in my career, I actually left a job that I loved because I was surrounded by so much negativity from a small group of my peers. I can easily deal with negative and doubting comments from teachers who "aren't quite ready" to take on change, but to see those who were supposed to be leading the way spending so much time celebrating their negativity was more than I could bear.

I'm now working at a school where the workload is tremendous, the pay is average, but the peer support and sense of team is incredible. We have our days and we complain, but a day never ends without someone pointing out just how much we accomplished. That to me is worth more than anything.

Keep being positive and make sure you always have a core of positive people to rely on - it makes the rest easier to overcome.

"Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourself a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles." Helen Keller

Anonymous said...

As long as you feel like you are moving forward and doing what's right for your students - find the positive vibes - they're in there.

I've been trying to think more in regards to the learning brain lately and the affective network. There's a background to each of the educators that we work with that we may or may not be aware of.

Give the benefit of the doubt. Which I am sure you do.

Lisa

Pat Wagner said...

Hi Liz,
You've taken a positive approach to this problem, which is good.
I find that I need to take myself out of the equation when weighing up people's responses. If I'm tired or sensing other frustrations that go beyond the integration of technology, then it's too easy to lose focus.
I am very fortunate in that I interact with teachers mainly online, so I almost always get to use the 'three second pause' (which is sometimes more like 3 minutes or 3 hours) before responding. This definitely helps the relationship, and enables me to stay very positive and supportive when helping teachers. I can empathize with the plight of tech coordinators who have a complaining teacher in their face though.
What has also been most beneficial is an extremely supportive principal and some great teachers who have helped to generate contagion.

Sarah Hanawald said...

Hi Liz,
I remember when I was "evangelizing" about the potential of going to a 1:1 environment at our school and people got downright nasty. We've been 1:1 since 2000, and while there have been many moments of negativity, it's never been like it was then and the first year since. We even had a student graduation speaker insert an ugly comment about the school changing for the worse during his time there with the laptops coming, and how glad he was to be leaving.

It's easy to say "don't take it personally" and it's great advice. I've given it often! But some of the people who were being nasty back then were directing it at me--they felt that technology was something being done to them, and that I was the one doing it. So, it was hard not to take it personally since it was meant personally. What did help was remembering that an unkind or otherwise cruel remark says much more about the person making it than it does about the target. A lot of the more poisonous folks are not around anymore, but I still am! The just suspicious and fearful types have come a long way, some are big users of technology.

What helped me then was having a core support group who felt strongly that what we were doing was important. We spent a lot of time time together in and outside of school, venting and exploring new our new venture.

Another way to think about it, is if the negativity is coming from someone you otherwise respect professionally, and what you are suggesting is within their realm of expertise,it is worth investigating and responding to their comments, even if you don't really want to. If the negativity doesn't fall in those categories, then let it fall where it may. . .

(chocolate in the lower desk drawer comes in very handy)

Anonymous said...

Liz,
I love that you included your PLN. Their comments on twitter were encouraging, funny, compelling, and showed the strength of a supportive network. (I wish I had a chance to weigh in yesterday too.)

I think you know now that you are not alone. Leaders who are trying to champion any kind of change, struggle with negativity. I have to say that in my experience, I focused on the students (like Lisa) and celebrated small victories. If you are able to support one person in their efforts, than that will make up for those who are not interested in what you have to say. There are those who are negative about everything...we can't let them zap our energy and lose sight on our mission to do what's best for the kids.

Lee Kolbert said...

Hi Liz,
Thanks for reading my tweet. It's hard to be thorough in 140 characters but fun at the same time. Great idea to include in a blog post, even greater idea to follow up with your Twitter network to let them know. I learn so much from my PLN.

Anyway, I wanted to add a few more character to my 140. I was at a school for my first 13 years teaching. Loved the staff, but was looking for a more technologically progressive school, so I moved down the street, basically to a newer school. Loved everything about it except the people. The overall atmosphere very negative and stifling . Anything you did to excel was frown upon because, after all, it made others who were not doing those things look bad. Awards, rewards, accolades, even conferencing with parents on a regular basis, etc. were really subjects of gossip rather than praise. It was as if the energy was sucked out of the building when you walked in. If you've ever read The "The Celestine Prophecy" , you know what I'm talking about when I refer to "energy suckers" and "toxic people." It took me into my 3rd year there to realize it and after that year I left to go to another school. Since then, I have not encountered another faculty with the same collective personality.

On a positive note, that was over 9 years ago and I've been back to visit, professionally and personally, and there has been enough turn-over that the ambiance of the school has shifted significantly.

I'm glad to know that the school is no longer "haunted." Mostly for the students who had to endure such angry teachers.

On the other hand, there are times when you can't walk away. In my current situation, I do professional development with 170 schools and can't walk away from such toxic people. When I'm in a training and they pipe in with a snitty remark, I will usually respond with gentle humor or question like, "How do you think we can resolve that?"

Good luck. ~Lee

Anonymous said...

Liz,

As always, great post! I too have endured my fair share of negativity and resistance to change, but as you and others have pointed out, change occurs slowly. Not to sound like a martyr, but the detractors and their arguments cannot stand against the backdrop of change and the challenges of the 21st century. When I ask "the negative element" to explain/defend their position, they invariably come up short against the benchmark of sound pedagogy and are left contemplating their personal beliefs against professional best practice.

In short, it sometimes hurts to listen to distracting voices, but the greater challenge is to keep the faith and continue being the evangelist that your students (and hopefully the majority of your teachers) appreciate and admire.

Durff said...

I like the wiffle bat idea!